Friday 28 September 2012

So many gays!!

Like Mel, and rather unlike James, and Todostrieb, and Eli, and also Miu, I have finally started University. Despite not having met a single one of my flatmates properly (I think most of them are postgraduates - I'm getting the impression that postgrads turn their noses up and look down upon the undergrads in much the same way the sixth form turned their noses up and looked down upon the ickle year 7s with backpacks twice the size of their bodies), this place is officially brilliant. So many people on my course that I've met have also joined the LGBT society, which is also great - I couldn't help but notice that the LGBT society's stand was diagonally opposite the Catholic Society's stand at Fresher's Fayre, and at our LGBT picnic on Wednesday, we successfully kicked the Christian Union out of their marquee without actually telling them to leave.

I did actually have a very different sort of post planned for today which I wrote while in a depressed state of drunkeness, in which I sort of ramble about how I'm such an awkward turtle, and how I go somewhere, with the intention of uttering a word other than “Hello” to somebody I have never met before, and I just lurk at the back, too terrified to say even that. After not very long, I make myself busy (this usually consists of going to the toilet), and then I return to my lurking spot at the back of wherever, hoping that somebody nice will stumble upon me and start talking to me (and if at all possible, not the other way around).

When this does not happen, I begin to look around for someone who looks like an easy target to walk up to and introduce myself to; I see one guy about my age who looks like he might do, and so I set off, only to return straight away to my original position when I notice that he’s engaged himself in conversation with some chick who intercepted him on his way to the bar. I continue scanning the room for another lonely soul, and find nobody. Suddenly I get the impression that somebody’s watching me, and although I cannot for the life of me figure out who, I feel myself going bright red. It’s almost as if the person who may or may not be watching me thinks I’m a bit of a weirdo, all alone in the corner, Billy No-Mates, and I’m whisked back to Primary School break time, when I was Billy No-Mates, all alone in the corner. And so I leave.

Despite this being a regular scenario for me, I am determined not to let it get the better of me... the LGBT society are heading into Soho on Tuesday (which, by some happy coincidence, is my 19th Birthday), so before we leave, I must make sure to take advantage of the subsidised alcohol in the Student Bar to bury my inner introvert and let the extravert come out to play. 

That sounded creepy.... remind me never to say that again.

I have suddenly realised that I decided I didn't want to post that post, yet there it is, all two paragraphs of it... what I actually wanted to say (which was basically about how awesome University is, how many Doctor Who fans there actually are, how awesome the LGBT society is, how many members of said LGBT society are actually on my course) sort of drifted away into depressed drunkeness anyway...  This is because I am in a rush and writing this before going to meet a friend to watch some sort of film on some really uncomfortable lecture theatre seat before going to the local pub and getting absolutely rat-arsed. 

Hey ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh wow, you're going to comment? Thanks! You'll make us feel all special and fuzzy inside.

It'll take us up to 48 hours to get round to making sure your heartfelt messages of admiration and love don't contain any words they shouldn't, but it *might* take less, depending on whether we're drunk or on covert missions to Ann Summers at the time.