Friday 3 August 2012

Fuck off out of my sex life, you nosy sods!

I probably don't need to point out that I have no sex-life for you to fuck out of, for reasons which should be obvious to anybody who has read through find Rory a Boyfriend week - namely, I don't have a boyfriend. Doesn't stop you from being nosy sods though...

I could spend this post pondering the definition of virginity, and at what point one actually loses it. Is it, as James suggests, dependant on what sort of sex you've had (or haven't had), or is it much more general in the sense that one immediately ceases to be a virgin once you've had any sort of sexual contact whatsoever? I'm sure someone will answer that question, but I'm not going to, because a) I'm no expert, b) I don't know, c) I have more important things to be doing with my time than wondering at which point you lose your virginity and d) even if I could answer it, it would be as boring as hell.

I could also spend this post giving you explicit details of my non-existent sex life, which of course I'm not going to, because that would mean a) I'd be lying to you, b) we value our readers and c) we'd have to turn on the 'this blog contains adult content' warning, and that requires effort which none of us have.

Having said all this, it occurs to me that some of it is all lies. I'm not going to deny having had sex; whether or not it counts as virginity-stealing sex is another matter, because I suppose sex is the wrong word to use in the first place. 'Fooling around' seems more accurate, because lets face it, when you're young and naive and innocent and are in the same room alone with one person who you happen to 'like-like' and you think there's a small chance that he 'like-likes' you back, one thing will inevitably lead to the other, and before you know it, you're fooling around with each other - literally.

Which brings me back to my first thought about when you actually pop your cherry, and I'm going to do what I originally said I wasn't going to do, and that's answer the question. For me, it depends on your outlook on life, and what you personally think and if you prefer to take James' interpretation of many virginities, or if you prefer the interpretation where you're either a virgin or you're not. Regardless of which interpretation I choose, I still consider myself a virgin because I haven't yet had a boyfriend with whom I have had sex, which I suppose was a mistake admitting on the internet on a blog which most of my friends are probably reading. No matter. Personally, I choose the latter, because that way I don't have to reveal details of my sex life to nosy buggers like you (yes, you over there, in the corner. Yes you. I'm talking to you too, you know).

You also don't have to ask the lady at the foreign currency exchange at Heathrow airport to define 'virgin' - you can simply declare you're not a virgin and that your child next to you is proof of that, but you are in fact flying with Virgin, an awkward and embarrassing true story involving my mother and I on our way out to New York.

Rory.

PS: I have no idea if this is actually what my esteemed colleagues had in mind when the topic 'Virginity' was suggested, but as eli rightly pointed out, for something so simple, it's damn fucking hard to talk about.

PPS: I should apologise for any expletives I may have used in this post, Mel's post inspired me to go and re-watch Bridget Jones and I find the use of language in both films rather fucking contagious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh wow, you're going to comment? Thanks! You'll make us feel all special and fuzzy inside.

It'll take us up to 48 hours to get round to making sure your heartfelt messages of admiration and love don't contain any words they shouldn't, but it *might* take less, depending on whether we're drunk or on covert missions to Ann Summers at the time.