Wednesday 29 August 2012

The One Ring

Unlike the other homojournalists I firmly believe I could be celibate, as long as vibrators etc don’t count, and I had no contact with anyone I remotely liked in any way.

I feel like in principal it’s a good idea, avoiding unwanted pregnancies, STDs, awkward encounters and etiquette, having to buy nice underwear (not that I can ever be assed to do this either way, but a lot of people follow the school of thought “If no one’s gunna see them, why bother?), contraception and sometimes it’s impractical, no one’s parents like to come home and find their offspring with their significant other. 

Personally my parents have a rule, don’t ask, don’t tell. Although a memorable quote from my mother about Eli and Mel, “well, they have the door open, so they’re not having sex”…I’m pretty sure they were sleeping.
There’s also the religious issue, I know devout people can be proclaimed bigots in many LGBTQ issues, but to have sex or not to have sex is an issue that your religion may influence, and you can choose what to do with your own body for any reason you like. Personally, if there is a god, I doubt he likes me much, and he has bigger bones to pick with me than lust. Such as wrath, my second favourite deadly sin, I like them all though really.

There seem to be a lot of downsides to sex in that list, and I don’t want to get personal here but there are also good sides. Aside from the more obvious fact that (most of the time) it feels good, it’s a way to feel emotionally closer to your partner, it’s exercise, it relieves stress, it demonstrates a level of trust in a relationship, in reality sex is a huge part of any relationship, so what happens if you marry someone, then on your wedding night they whip out the ball gag and chains?
I've seen much better rings anyways. 
The whole promise ring thing is, I suspect, just a marketing ploy. Designed to ease the conscience of the media and or/ parents of whoever takes the vow. It seems like putting bells on whistles on a personal choice, not everyone who doesn't want sex needs a ring to prove it. It seems almost like bribery, “here my dearest daughter, I have bought you a pretty ring, but if you wear it you can’t have sex” seems like a fair deal, no?
Silver Incarnation Ring
Such as this one, for example. 

Todostrieb 

The cool skull ring is from Bonadrag, an online store which I fantasise about owning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh wow, you're going to comment? Thanks! You'll make us feel all special and fuzzy inside.

It'll take us up to 48 hours to get round to making sure your heartfelt messages of admiration and love don't contain any words they shouldn't, but it *might* take less, depending on whether we're drunk or on covert missions to Ann Summers at the time.