Thursday 12 July 2012

"That's so gay!!"

What do I think about ? I'm not quite sure. Bad Eli, you should have thought about this before you started this post.


But you see reader, I am going to Japan tomorrow, and as I have yet to obtain my return ticket, I have more pressing matters: how am I supposed to survive being away from my beloved Mel for 2+ months?? 

Even though I am LGBT, and have heard the choo-choo of the gay marriage train and parade pass by, right in front of my eyes, I haven't contemplated marriage. 

Right now, I am queer. This means I don't know whether I shall marry a guy, a girl, a MTF,  a FTM, a gender-queer person etc, or whether I will marry at all. To be honest, as a child coming from a broken family, marriage doesn't seem too exciting for me, and walking down the isle in a poofy dress seems sickening and scary. But I wouldn't mind babies, they always seem cute... damn my maternal instincts!!


I currently have Mel, and we have often joked about getting married, and having a baby  "François", and maybe others, simply because it's fun to fantasise sometimes and play house/happy-families. However, I will not lie, I am ignorant about whether it is even legal to get married in the UK, and what the difference between a "Civil Partnership" and a "Marriage" is. 

According to the great internet:
"Civil partnerships are a legally recognised union between two people of the same sex...Couples who become partnered will have the right to exactly the same legal treatment across a range of matters as a married couple would expect." 

"A partnership is formed when the second of the two parties signs the partnership papers. This is not necessarily a public ceremony or even an event that happens at the same time as the first signature.....In contrast, a marriage happens when the partners exchange spoken words and also sign the register."
There is also some interesting information in these links:


http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/17/gay-marriage-civil-partnerships
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4497348.stm
http://www.theweddingcommunity.com/304/Expert-Advice/Article/The-Differences-Between-Civil-Partnerships-and-Marriages


I shall have to do my homework on the subject and get back to you. Right now I have to pack for Japan... (I shall already be there when this comes out..).


Eli x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh wow, you're going to comment? Thanks! You'll make us feel all special and fuzzy inside.

It'll take us up to 48 hours to get round to making sure your heartfelt messages of admiration and love don't contain any words they shouldn't, but it *might* take less, depending on whether we're drunk or on covert missions to Ann Summers at the time.